This exhibit features the work of five photographers of the Irwin District whose photographs have been donated to the Irwin District Historical Society.
The photographers were both professional and amateur, all have made a major contribution to the records of the Irwin District.
In addition to their photographs, some of their equipment has also been donated and is exhibited along with examples of their work.
Eric P. Lidner
We do not have a photograph of Eric, but prior to coming to retire in Dongara in about 1935 he was a storekeeper in Mingenew.
He was noted for his market garden in Hepburn Street, which he grew during World War II.
He moved to Kalgoorlie in 1948. Few of his photographs remain in Dongara. The picture of Robert Russ's Shop taken about 1900, which shows Robert Russ standing in the doorway is stamped with Mr. Lidner's trademark.
Percy M. Carter
Percy Carter lived in Dongara before World War I. He was the Dongara representative for W. D Moore and Co and lived at 'Cliveden' with his wife and family. He photographed scenes along the Irwin River, his friends Dr. Bartlett and his wife Florence as well as David and Susan Brand and their children. He also photographed Dongara landmarks such as the jetty and bridges.
A number of his photographs were published in the Western Mail newspaper around 1905. Below left, Pell Bridge (former 5 Mile), and below right the Irwin River near Moore's crossing, both photographs taken about 1905.
William Wilton 1876-1977
William was the son of John Marklove and Sarah Eversden. He worked as a railway ganger for the Midland Railway for twenty-one years, working from the Irwin siding.
He owned the Premo No.4 Camera (on display at the museum) and developed and printed his own glass slides and prints There are over 50 glass slides taken by him in the collection, many show the everyday activities of a gangerís life, pictures of the railway and other events.
The two photographs below show a self portrait of William at the ganger's camp and the Milo Bridge with the flooded Irwin River flowing over it.
Thomas A. Reynolds 1865-1939
Thomas Augustus Reynolds was a tinsmith by trade, examples of his craft as well as paintings on tin by him are in the Society's collection and can be seen at the museum.
Thomas photographed people in formal poses as well as local landmarks. Below left a portrait of T. Reynolds, below middle is St. Dominic's Priory taken about 1925, and below right Ellen Dee nee Browning taken about 1895.
Kathleen May Ellery 1927-1975
Kathleen (Kit) May Ellery nee Batty was born in Dongara and was a founding member of the Irwin District Historical Society.
Many of her photographs and documents have been donated to the Society by her husband Charlie who is also a life member of the Society.
As well as photographing her family and friends, Kit and Charlie also photographed the events in Dongara for many years.
Below left, flooded Irwin River inundates the Dominican Priory in 1971, middle, Restoration of Russ Cottage 1970 and below right, carting wool in 1950.