RUSS COTTAGE MUSEUM
Russ Cottage was built by Titus Russ, who is believed to have brought stone to the site in a wheel barrow from the quarry south of the Irwin River.
Titus Russ arrived with his brother in the colony in 1853 and moved to Dongara in the early 1860's to work for Hamersley.
The Russ family occupied the cottage for many years. Robert Russ used the ground to the rear as a market garden and operated the Newsagents and store on a nearby site.
Prior to being acquired by the Shire of Irwin in 1970, the building had become badly deteriorated.
The restoration work was carried out by volunteers of the Irwin District Historical Society and the building was officially opened by the Premier of Western Australia, Sir David Brand in 1971.
Shortly after its opening it was inundated by the Irwin River to a depth of two metres, however all artefacts had been removed to safety.
The Society has operated this building as a museum since that time.