The Society acknowledges the traditional owners of the Irwin Districts, their continuing connection to land, sea and community and pays its respects to elders and their cultures, past, present and emerging.
The IDHS was founded in 1964 and is dedicated to preserving the history of the Irwin Districts of Western Australia through our research office and museums located at the Dongara Old Police Station and Russ Cottage.
The IDHS is a non profit organisation entirely staffed by volunteers.
The Irwin Districts Historical Society is an association of people voluntarily working together in a spirit of stewardship to advance the history, culture and natural heritage of the Irwin Shire as a vital force in the development of a sustainable present and future for the Shire and its people .
Our quarterly magazine The Sea Lion is also available for download below:
The Irwin District Museum is located in the former Dongara Police Station which operated from 1871 to 1982. Permanent exhibits of local history, Lost Trades, Convicts of the Irwin Districts and the story of the Rabbit Invasion of Australia. You are welcome to visit our Research Office located at the Museum.
Russ Cottage is a house museum, set out to recreate a late 19th century worker’s cottage. It contains items donated by the Russ family as well as other items relating to the Irwin Districts.